We’ve been celebrating Diamonds all month at The Gold Market Jewelers as it is the birthstone for those lucky ones in April–and also since it’s bridal season too!
Here is some interesting information about Diamonds:
The only diamond mine in the world where you can be the miner is at The Arkansas Diamond Mine at Crater of Diamonds State Park. This Diamond Mine is located near Murfreesboro, Arkansas. For a small fee, you can enter the mine, search all day and keep any diamonds that you find. Just last year, a young Boy Scout found a 5 Carat diamond!
The diamonds at the Park occur in the soil and that makes them easy to look for. Some people find them after it rains by walking through the field looking for the bright reflection of the diamond that has been washed clean by the water.
More interesting facts:
• Crater Diamonds State Park is the only diamond mine in the U.S.
• Even though the U.S. is the largest consumer of diamonds, it has almost no production. The top 3 diamond mines in the world are Botswana, Russia and Canada, but fewer that 20 percent of diamonds mined worldwide are true-gem quality.
•Diamonds are the hardest natural substance on Earth.
• Most are between 1-2 billion years old.
• In ancient times, Diamonds were believed to promote strength, invincibility, courage and had power to ward off evil.
• The word “Diamond” is adopted from the Greek word “adamas” meaning “Invincible”.
• The value of a Diamond is based upon it Carat weight, Clarity, Color and quality of its Cut.
• They come in a wide range of colors including black, blue, green, pink, red, purple, orange and yellow. The color is dependent on the type of impurities that are present in the stone. Yellow stones have minuscule traces of nitrogen while blue ones contain boron.
Diamonds are beautiful and the ultimate gift for a loved one.
Happy April and Happy Birthday to those celebrating birthdays this month. Also remember that Diamonds are for celebrating the 10th, 60th and 75th anniversaries--much deserved if married that long! 🙂
The Gold Market Jewelers–Fine Jewelry & Repairs, Serving customers from Longmont, Firestone, Mead, Berthoud, Niwot, Boulder, Lafayette, Erie, Broomfield, Westminster